Work With Us.
Breakwater School Early Childhood Aftercare Teacher
Position Description: We are seeking a loving, skilled and energetic teacher for our Early Childhood Aftercare program to provide a safe and welcoming play environment for children ages 18 months to 5. Must have experience teaching young children and communicate well with children, co-workers, and parents.
- All duties associated with caring for children ages 18 months to five years in a group setting
- Teaching in accordance with Breakwater's mission and the Breakwater Early Childhood program vision.
- Creating and maintaining a safe environment in accordance with DHHS licensing and Breakwater School policies
- Planning, set up and clean up under the direction of the lead aftercare teacher and Division Director
Schedule: Monday-Thursday, 2:30-5:30 pm; Friday, 1:00-5:30 pm. Note: Ending times may fluctuate with enrollment.
Qualifications and Qualities:
- Minimum of 1 year experience teaching children between the ages of 18 months and 5 in a group setting
- Must either be working toward a degree in early childhood education or related field, hold an associates degree in early childhood education, or have earned an early childhood certificate
- Able to sit on the floor and ground and get up and down often; able to lift up to 30 pounds and haul or drag 25 pounds
- Willing and able to change diapers and assist children with toileting and other self Kind, joyful, encouraging, organized, professional, prompt, dependable, flexible, creative, strong team player
Compensation: Hourly. Pay depends on experience and education.
Breakwater School is looking for teachers to work on an on-call basis. The ideal candidate can work with a wide variety of ages as Breakwater serves toddler to middle school students. Applicants should have prior teaching experience, the ability to follow lesson plans, excellent classroom management skills, as well as the ability to communicate clearly with the classroom teacher about the day's events. Please indicate if you have any experience that you feel may be beneficial, such as specific age ranges, foreign languages, art, music, science or outdoor education experience. On-call substitute teachers will be contacted as far in advance as possible but often are notified the day of a vacancy. Rate of pay is $12.50/hr.
Class B CDL Driver
Breakwater School is currently seeking a part-time as-needed CDL-licensed driver with S endorsement for the Day Program throughout the school year, and potentially year-round. Routes run throughout Portland and surrounding areas, with potential out-of-state trips on occasion. Applicants must enjoy working with children, and maintain a positive and professional attitude while representing the School. Smoking is strictly prohibited during field trips. Compensation is $18/hr.
Application Details: Please send a resume, proof of CDL certification and current drug testing results.
How to Apply.
All applications should include your cover letter, resume and three professional references along with any special application materials specified in the postings. Applications should be sent to:
c/o Human Resources
856 Brighton Ave
Portland, ME 04102
Breakwater is an equal opportunity employer (EOE), and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability and genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.